How to Be Happy Using the GREAT DREAM Model
A healthy, happy life could be 10 simple steps away.
We all want to be happy. But for many of us, happiness often feels out of reach. That's why Action for Happiness and Vanessa King came up with the GREAT DREAM Model: 10 straightforward steps for a happier, healthier life at home and in the workplace.
- Giving. Sharing your knowledge, volunteering, or just making someone a cup of coffee: research shows that giving to others improves our own sense of well-being.
- Relating. Improve your listening skills and make connections with people.
- Exercising. Exercise reduces stress, helps you to think clearly, and raises your energy levels.
- Awareness. Focus on the present moment and notice the world around you. Such mindfulness techniques can lower your stress and improve your concentration.
- Trying Out. Be curious. Seek out new experiences and opportunities.
- Direction. Define your values and set yourself achievable goals to pursue.
- Resilience. Developing your resilience will help you to overcome setbacks. We may not be able to control what happens to us, but we can control how we react to it.
- Emotions. Learn to recognize your feelings and to regulate your emotions.
- Acceptance. Find peace with yourself by acknowledging your strengths and weaknesses.
- Meaning. We feel happiest when we see meaning in our lives. Find connections between what you do and "the big picture."
To learn more about the GREAT DREAM model, read the article that accompanies this video.